Re: Increase In Gravity

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Wed Dec 26 2001 - 09:43:04 EST

    James Taggart wrote:

    > Every day, a few thousand pounds of space dust settles on the earth.
    > The only mass leaving earth is the occasional satellite we toss up.
    > Therefore, over time, the earth is becoming more massive. Hence, the
    > force of gravity on earth IS increasing. Those of you including a plan
    > to lose weight in your New Years resolutions should reconsider.

            The seriousness of this effect is mitigated somewhat if we use a
    simple model in which the earth's average density remains constant. In
    this case the earth's radius must also increase so that surface gravity
    increases more slowly (like M^(1/3) rather than M) with increasing M than
    it would if the mass always had to be packed into the same volume.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/