Re: Science of the Gaps (Re: God acting in creation #4+++)

From: John W Burgeson (burgytwo@juno.com)
Date: Mon Dec 24 2001 - 14:09:49 EST

    Moorad wrote: "Just because the subject matter of science does not
    include these categories, it is absurd to say that science declares them
    to be nonsensical. "

    I think we can all agree on that, Moorad. But then you continue to
    write: "Methodological naturalism goes beyond science and it is a
    philosophy of science that is nihilistic in nature since it excludes
    other disciplines---those dealing with the
    non-physical, not detectable by physical devices."

    I would agree that it excludes other disciplines -- and this by
    definition. But in doing so it is simply defining what science is --
    nothing more. How can this be nihilistic? The baseball rules book
    defines what baseball is -- it "excludes" such other human activities as
    TV watching, fishing, and mall shopping. Yet one would hardly call it
    "nihilistic" because this is so.

    John Burgeson (Burgy)

    http://www.burgy.50megs.com
           (science/theology, quantum mechanics, baseball, ethics,
            humor, cars, God's intervention into natural causation, etc.)