Re: Science of the Gaps (Re: God acting in creation #4+++)

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Dec 23 2001 - 18:56:36 EST

    It is natural (no pun intended) for one to want to allow science to be
    unimpeded by thoughts of God or anything else beyond x, y, z, and t.
    However, the mysteries of quantum mechanics -- and its multiple
    "interpretations" -- allows us
    no such comfort.

    One perfectly good scientist (Eugene P. Wigner), speaking as a
    scientist, said the following:

    "The being with a consciousness must have a different role in the
    quantum mechanics than the inanimate measuring device."

    "In other words, the impression which one gains at an interaction,
    called the result of an observation, modifies the wave function of the
    system. The modified wave function is, furthermore, in general
    unpredictable before the
    impression gained at the interaction has entered our consciousness: it
    is the entering of an impression into our consciousness which alters the
    wave function because it modifies our appraisal of the probabilities for
    different
    impressions which we expect in the future It is at this point that the
    conscious mind enters the theory unavoidably and unalterably."

    This was not offered as an alternative "interpretation", but rather as
    something which this Nobel Laureate believed to be the only valid
    physical conclusion.

    I've never heard a good rebuttal to Wigner's claim.

    --
    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>