RE: Science of the Gaps (Re: God acting in creation #4+++)

From: Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@uncwil.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 23 2001 - 11:42:15 EST

    The finite mind of man requires him to create disciplines with well defined
    subject matters. The whole of creation can be studied with physical devices as
    detectors, that defines science. But certainly that does not encompass the
    whole of reality. Man is also a detector both of the physical and the
    non-physical--and science can say nothing about the non-physical. Examples,
    are notions of deity, human consciousness, moral laws, etc. Just because the
    subject matter of science does not include these categories, it is absurd to
    say that science declares them to be nonsensical. Methodological naturalism
    goes beyond science and it is a philosophy of science that is nihilistic in
    nature since it excludes other disciplines---those dealing with the
    non-physical, not detectable by physical devices. Man qua man is more than man
    qua scientist. The "I" in man is what detects human consciousness and that is
    also that allows the theist to perceive of God. Science will always be silent
    about these matters. Moorad