RE: Science of the Gaps (Re: God acting in creation #4+++)

From: Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@uncwil.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 23 2001 - 09:49:03 EST

    Regarding George's three points:

    1) Objectivity in science implies that man takes himself out of the subject
    matter of science. That is why I doubt it very much that science can "derive"
    (explain) man. Recall that the subject matter of science is detectable, in
    principle, by physical devices only. I would be more specific and indicate
    that it is man that "detects" God, rather than invoke theology which is the
    study of God. For instance, in the Christian faith God entered the
    creation--that is history.

    2) God sustains the creation---He is self-existing while the creation is
    not--and it is a rational system. The rationality of the creation indicates
    already that God lets certain things happen. But one cannot restrain Him from
    doing what He thinks is needed at a particular time. Recall that we cannot,
    despite all our knowledge, predict the future.

    3) I think the interaction of God with the universe is somewhat analogous to
    the interaction of the soul with our body and mind.

    Merry Christmas to you all.

    Moorad

    >===== Original Message From george murphy <gmurphy@raex.com> =====
    >Walter Hicks wrote:
    >

    >> george murphy wrote:
    >>
    >>> This is not an accurate statement of either my view or (I
    >>> think)
    >>> Howard's. I certainly wouldn't say that "God [is] doing nothing
    >>> anymore" but
    >>> that God is acting within the limits of the patterns characterizing
    >>> natural
    >>> processes. This need not mean that all the information was stored