Re: Science of the Gaps (Re: God acting in creation #4+++)

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Sun Dec 23 2001 - 07:23:40 EST

    Walter Hicks wrote:

    > george murphy wrote:
    >
    >> This is not an accurate statement of either my view or (I
    >> think)
    >> Howard's. I certainly wouldn't say that "God [is] doing nothing
    >> anymore" but
    >> that God is acting within the limits of the patterns characterizing
    >> natural
    >> processes. This need not mean that all the information was stored
    >> somewhere
    >> in the first seconds of the universe. We don't understand how the
    >> requisite
    >> information can be generated by natural processes but that points to
    >> a need for
    >> better scientific understanding rather than an appeal to direct
    >> divine action,
    >> which would be a classic example of a God of the gaps argument.
    >
    > Why is valid for scientists to assume that all unknown phenomena must
    > be explained by "God acting within the limits of natural causes", but
    > invalid for anyone to suggest that perhaps God may have had a direct
    > hand in it? The Bible seems to suggest that God is not shy about
    > interacting with His Universe.

        1) Scientists qua scientists say nothing at all about how God acts
    but only about how natural processes occur within the world. Speaking
    about how God does or does not act in relation to those processes is a
    matter of theology rather than natural science.
        2) I have not said that suggestions of God's direct action outside
    "the limits of the patterns characterizing natural processes" is invalid
    but IMO the best theological approach, consistent with the belief that
    God's character is revealed most fully in the cross, is to emphasize
    that God does, as much as possible, act withinin those limits. For more
    detail see my article "Chiasmic Cosmology and Creation's Functional
    Integrity" in the March 2001 PSCF.
        3) Certainty God interacts with the universe. The question at
    issue here has been "How?"

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy