Re: God acting in creation #4+++

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 13:53:25 EST

    george murphy wrote:

    > Given your reply to Dave, I'm not sure whether you're
    > interested primarily in "fun" or apologetics. If the 1st then your
    > idea is perhaps worthy of a 1/2 hour Twilight Zone episode. If the
    > latter then I'd alter Dave's evaluation to "preposterouser and
    > preposterouser." An alternate universe with rivers named Tigris &
    > Euphrates & a land named Assyria?

    Hey George,

    Your theology is appreciated!

    But: I figured that it's not worth wasting any more ASA time. I was,
    however, quite serious about the possibility. If that is ridiculous,
    then where do you place Hawkings (and others) notion of an infinite
    number of spontaneous universes -- or the many universe interpretation
    of quantum mechanics? (Do I correctly recall that you accept that QM
    interpretation?) . I just don't think that God should have intellectual
    limits placed on Him that physics will not place on itself. Moreover, I
    think that it very unreasonable to assume (a-priori) that God is more
    limited than mankind would be if "creating" AI for robots.

    I was just arguing for the possibility -- physics not apologetics (for
    which I have no qualifications).

    Physics is fun if you don't take physicists too seriously ;-)

     'nuff said.

    > It sounds as if you've watched the ending of "Planet of the Apes" too many times. (I hope at least it was
    > the original one: Last summer's remake was wretched.)

    I liked it, but I like almost all sci-fi.

    Walt

    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>

    In any consistent theory, there must
    exist true but not provable statements.