Re: God acting in creation #4+++

From: george murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 15:29:00 EST

    Moorad Alexanian wrote:

    > The laws of nature are our generalizations of physical data and the
    > predictions from such laws are not prescribe for Nature to follow. It is
    > true that our tinkering with nature over short times does agree with some of
    > these predictions. But it takes more than that to claim that Nature must
    > behave according to our laws. I am not prepared to take that step. The laws
    > that I am referring to are the ones that deal with experimental science,
    > physics in particular. Historical sciences, viz., evolutionary theory,
    > cosmology, etc., deal with unique events and in such cases our predicative
    > powers and in enormously weaker grounds. God can act locally if He wants, He
    > does not have to act globally at all. Otherwise, the oceans and all the
    > waters would now be vine! Moorad

            Our "laws of nature" approximations to the true mathematical pattern of
    the universe. Thus we always have to be open to the possibility that our
    approximations will need to be improved, as the history of science shows us in
    numerous instances. Moreover, there may be "breaks" in the pattern, as both
    traditions concerning miracles and Goedel's theorem suggest. But there is no
    reason to insist that scientific laws must be limited by all the preconceptions
    that we may bring to the reading of biblical texts.

    Shalom,

    George

    George L. Murphy
    http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/