Re: criticising scientific naturalism

From: Loren Haarsma (lhaarsma@calvin.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 11:53:30 EST

    On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 RDehaan237@aol.com wrote:

    > Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I meant to ask why TEs (for want of a
    > better term) do not criticize evolutionary biologists as vociferously as they
    > criticized IDers and
    > YECs. I'm not including scientific naturalists.
    >
    > You wrote <<let me just point to Van Till's book, Science Held Hostage, as
    > an ideal example of just this.>> An example of what? A critique of
    > evolutionism? It has been a long time since I read Howard's book, and my
    > copy is still in storage. But as I recall it, it was a criticism of creation
    > scientists, YECs, who were the ones holding science hostage. Howard can
    > correct me if I am wrong.

    From the Table of Contents of "Science Held Hostage"
      Part I: Science as Practiced by Scientists
      Part II: Science Held Hostage by Creationism
      Part III: Science Held Hostage by Naturalism

    Just now, I looked at my bookshelf for the books written by TEs which deal
    directly or indirectly with issues raised by evolution. Authors include
    Walter Hearn, Charles Hummel, Donald MacKay, Kenneth Miller, John
    Polkinghorne, Howard VanTill, Clarence Menninga, Davis Young, George
    Murphy.

    Interestingly enough, every single book in that collection devotes
    paragraphs and chapters to criticizing scientism / evolutionism /
    philosophical naturalism.

    When I think back over the published articles I have read over the past
    decade, articles which were written by the TEs who have been regular
    contributers to this discussion list, I can say the same thing. To the
    best of my memory, every single one of them has written criticizing
    scientism / evolutionism / philosophical naturalism.

    Loren Haarsma
    Calvin College