Re: Response to: What does the creation lack?

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 08:06:45 EST

    From: "D. F. Siemens, Jr." <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>

    > Our only possible source for the Trinity is revelation.

    Dave, I don't mean to sound excessively feisty, but what do you make of the
    fact that the relevant "data" was apparently downloaded mostly in the first
    century, and then lay relatively unprocessed until it was needed in the
    fourth century to craft a theological solution to the problem of controversy
    that threatened to divide the institutional church?

    >Only recently has the Big Bang indicated a beginning to the universe, which was
    > already in the scriptures. Apart from the Hebrew scriptures, the "creation"
    > myths are a reshaping of something, whether by Marduk using Tiamat, or the
    > Demiurge using what was available.

    Re science: I would suggest that we admit that Big Bang cosmological theory
    is able to speak only to the formational history of OUR universe since t=0.
    It has no empirical access to what may have preceded it, and it has
    relatively little to say about what may co-exist with it.

    Re exegesis: Given the uncertainties in translating the opening lines of
    Genesis, many biblical scholars are quite modest in their claims about what
    the Bible actually says about an absolute beginning. Some suggest that
    Genesis 1 starts not with "nothing," but with chaos.

    > There is another aspect of the situation, in that theology has been described
    as
    > the application of philosophical methods to the data of scripture.

    My question has been, Why limit the "data" of theology to the biblical text
    alone? I'm eager for theology to be a vital and contemporary discipline that
    is as relevant to the continuing human experience as are the sciences. Why
    treat God as essentially silent (non-revelatory) since the Church chose to
    close the canon?

    Howard Van Till