Re: What is "special creation"?

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Sat Dec 08 2001 - 17:34:04 EST

    Moorad,
    Stephen's posting has the basis for an answer to your question about the
    increase in information in his "change in genetic characteristics of a
    population over time." One change is duplication. A second change is
    mutation. These two can produce more complexity. I keep running across
    articles on genomics and proteomics that indicate a larger number of
    genes in a family in "advanced" organisms than found in more "primitive"
    ones. One gene is activated earlier or later than one with a similar
    structure, and produces distinct results from the smaller number in less
    complex creatures. Some of the genes apparently become quiescent, an
    effect that one may expect from random changes. Indeed, I recall a
    sidebar in a recent Science about a protein that has no use, but is
    produced.

    A third change is inversion; a fourth, relocation to a different
    chromosome. These two processes strongly affect the ability to
    interbreed, and may affect the timing of activation to have a major
    effect on ontogeny. Polyploidy is a fifth change, which may be coupled
    with interspecific crossing. I recall Raphanobrassica, radish and
    cabbage, I believe. An additional factor is gene transfer. All these
    produce changes in the genetic constitution of a population. We don't yet
    have enough information to get points that we can connect, but the
    indications are that they are coming, though billions of base pairs is a
    lot more complicated than a few measurements to determine the orbit of a
    comet or asteroid.

    Despite the fact that we have genome sequencing for only a few creatures,
    we can already see genetic connections. 98+% identity between Homo and
    Pan, less with other anthropoids, etc. But a mammalian gene can
    substitute for one in Drosophila in producing the structure of the very
    different eyes, and it also works in cephalopods. People working in the
    field can certainly add many more examples. They all tie together with an
    indication that, in time, the dots will be so closely clustered that one
    will not have to connect them. I won't bet on "don't know how" for long.
    Dave