Re: Evolution Statement

From: tikeda@sprintmail.com
Date: Sat Dec 08 2001 - 15:49:41 EST

    Jim Stark:
    [...]
    >If our hypothesis is a common ancestry for humans, how well does
    >historical prediction confirm that hypothesis? Could an alternate
    >hypothesis of a specific number of origins, such as 3, give a better
    >statistical fit of the evidence? Is the statistical fit for a
    >single origin stronger than some other number? Then again, what
    >number would give the best fit?

    Hmm...
    If humans actually represented more than one species (i.e. arose from
    more than one source species) I suppose that several predictions could
    be made:

    1) There would be distinct fertility barriers.
    2) Genomic anaylsis would reveal numerous distinct, coherent, non-
         overlapping groups.
    3) Comparative anatomy would reveal similar patterns to genetic
         analyses.
    4) Fossil studies might uncover separate groups that can be linked
         to extant groups.

    These predictions fail, BTW. Thus all humans appear to share a common
    biological heritage. But any of the tests described above would
    have the potential of determining the number of separate origins
    if some human groups did have separate origins.

    Regards,
    Tim Ikeda
    tikeda@sprintmail.com

    http://mail2web.com/ .