What is "special creation"?

From: Howard J. Van Till (hvantill@novagate.com)
Date: Sat Dec 08 2001 - 09:47:12 EST

    The term "special creation" is familiar to most of us on the list. But I've
    often wondered about the word "special" in this context. In most other
    circumstances, "special" is contrasted to "ordinary." In this case, however,
    that seems rather odd. Are we to think of two categories of divine creative
    activity, one "special" and the other merely "ordinary"?

    So, the questions for the day are:

    What does the term "special creation" mean?

    From what source or tradition does it derive? Is its source biblical?
    theological? philosophical? scientific?

    When, and in what context did it come into use?

    Howard Van Till

    PS: An interesting and valuable resource for biology teachers is Richard P.
    Aulie's essay, "Intelligent Design, High School Biology, and the Lessons of
    History," on the web at www.scikron.com/SKMag/Vol1No3/art1V1N3.html