Re: Evolution Statement

From: Keith B Miller (kbmill@ksu.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2001 - 22:15:36 EST

    I have stated this several times in previous posts -- historical science IS
    predictive. Hypotheses are continually being tested by comparing
    expectations of the hypotheses with future observations. It doesn't matter
    that the events being reconstructed are in the past, only that the specific
    observation or data was unknown to the investigator previous to the
    prediction. This is done all the time. In my own research I am
    continually testing my expectation against new observations. If they prove
    out, my confidence in my hypothesis increases, if they don't that
    confidence is weakened. If expectation are frequently not met, the
    hypothesis is abandoned. That is the way all scientific theorizing works.

    The recent discovery of the walking whales from Pakistan are a great
    example within the field of paleontology.

    Keith

    Keith B. Miller
    Department of Geology
    Kansas State University