Re: Is Jonah to be taken literally?

From: Guy Blanchet (
Date: Wed Aug 29 2001 - 05:53:32 EDT

    Mr. Van Till,

    As Mr. Murphy pointed out to me, the subject of this discussion is now
    somewhat out of the bounds of normal ASA related matters. However I
    will briefly answer your questions.

    Howard J. Van Till a écrit:

    > Guy Blanchet a écrit:
    > Mr. Van Till,
    > You're confusing the Church of God with the Church of Rome.
    > The arguing over whether or not Jesus was God was simply the
    > beginnings of what the Chruch of Rome has come to refer to
    > as Tradition. The Bible may clearly say something but
    > Tradition may decide to 'rephrase' certain things to widen
    > the road and give elbow room. That's what makes that
    > institution a 'thoroughly human institution' as you say.
    > Mr. Blanchet,
    > Before I respond, let me be certain that I understand you correctly.
    > (1) Are you saying that, of all Christian denominations, the Roman
    > Catholic Church is the only one that might be described as a
    > 'thoroughly human institution'?

    There could be other 'Christian' denominations taking the humanistic
    path while more or less giving an outwardly appearance of following

    > (2) Are you saying that "Tradition" (by which I presume you mean
    > "binding ecclesiastical decisions") do not play a role in
    > denominations other than the Roman Catholic Church?

    Traditon is always present. It is not intrinsically wrong, but in the
    case of the RC., Tradition has been the vehicle used to progressively
    introduce another Gospel.

    > (3) What do you mean by "the Church of God"?

    > (a) A specific denomination or set of denominations? If so, what
    > are the criteria of selection?

    No. It is the Church that Jesus instituted while on earth; the assembly
    of believers in Him.

    > (b) A subset of members from several denominations? If so, what
    > are the criteria of selection?
    > (c) A set of persons, not necessarily members of any institutional
    > church, who are committed to certain tenets of faith? If so, what are
    > these tenets?

    Those that Jesus laid out.