Re: preposterous

From: Moorad Alexanian (
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 09:11:25 EDT

    Physics is the prototype of all sciences. I do not say that everyone who
    knows what science is will say that. Historical sciences are not like
    physics, why then qualify it with the word historical? Any person who wants
    to treat his/her subject matter of study quantitatively and with rigor can
    learn a lot from the methodology followed in physics and they do! I do not
    reduce everything to physics. I am a Christian and realize there is more to
    reality than matter. That is why it would be silly to attempt to deduce
    political norms, etc. to physics (materialism). I agree with your statement
    that man must analyze reality and thus introduce different disciples but
    later one must integrate all that knowledge to truly understand nature and
    man. There are, for instance, different levels of description of man that
    include, chemistry, biology, physics, theology, psychology, sociology, etc.
    One disciple cannot claim to explain man. It is clear that history handles
    its data in a different ways than physics handles its data. Establishing
    facts are done differently in those fields; of course, the human brain works
    equally in all these areas of endeavor. There is a difference between doing
    biology and discussing about biology. The former is the technical aspect
    while the latter is the study of the presuppositions made in biology and how
    they relate to other disciples. We can all discuss the philosophy of biology
    without being practicing biologists. I have enjoyed this exchange and hope
    you have learned as much as I have. Moorad