Re: articles on human evolution

From: Keith B Miller (
Date: Wed Mar 14 2001 - 23:40:39 EST

    >My colleague is teaching an upper level course in perspectives for the
    >first time and was looking for some or a good balanced article on human
    >evolution. He has, " Hartwig-Sherer's article from Mere Creation and John
    >Bloom's article from Christian Scholar's Review (1997)", but I was
    >wondering if any of you had any other suggestions. The article needs to
    >be "a reasonably short and accessible article that can be discussed in one
    >class period."

    I think that one of the best treatments of the human (hominid) fossil
    record is that by Ian Tattersall. The book is called "The Fossil Trail:
    How we know what we think we know about human evolution" (1995, Oxford
    University Press). This is a scientific and historical account by one of
    the significant players in physical anthropology. It has good clear
    descriptions of the fossil material ( and nice line drawings) along with
    the historical context of the discoveries.

    Keith B. Miller
    Department of Geology
    Kansas State University
    Manhattan, KS 66506