Re: statement on creationism?

Dick Fischer (dfischer@mnsinc.com)
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 13:35:16 -0500

--=====================_7284796==_.ALT

George Murphy wrote:

>Dick -
> Why not be consistent, bring matters to a head, & propose a revised
Statement
>of Faith for the ASA which will clearly rule out any YEC position? I suspect
that such
>a proposal would be overwhelmingly rejected by the membership, most of whom
are not
>YECs.

No need to change anything. Article 4 of our Statement of Faith says: " We
recognize our responsibility, as stewards of God's creation, to use science
and
technology for the good of humanity and the whole world." Our mandate as
Christians is to bear witness and spread the good news of the hope of
redemption through Jesus Christ. Science can be useful as an aid to our
Christian witness.

YEC's present a method of apology that perverts the scientific process. It
only drives away those whose knowledge and education forbids their acceptance
of YEC's insane proposals. YEC bears bitter fruit, and therefore, is
detrimental to the "good of humanity."

Furthermore, we have published positions that go beyond the Statement of
Faith.

In the June 1998 issue, under the heading, "What Exactly is the American
Scientific Affiliation," the first sentence says this: " The American
Scientific Affiliation (ASA) is a fellowship of men and women of science and
disciplines that can relate to science who share a common fidelity to the Word
of God and a commitment to integrity in the practice of science."

YEC's have no scientific integrity - period! Furthermore, they have "no
fidelity to the Word of God" they purport to defend. Here are some examples.

Job 15:1. Eliphaz asked Job, “Wast thou made before the hills?” Would
Eliphaz
have used this question of digging sarcasm had he thought the age of the hills
and the age of man were virtually the same, varying by a scant five days?

Habakkuk 3:6. The mountains are described as “everlasting,” the hills are
“perpetual.” The Hebrew words ‘ad and ‘owlam mean “long duration,” “ancient,”
“forever,” and “continuous existence.” Nevertheless, YEC’s proclaim the
mountains and hills are young! Maybe minor prophets don't count.

Ecclesiastes 1:10: “Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is
new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.” Could “any
thing”
include an earth, for example?

Psalm 90:4, Moses said, “For a thousand years in Thy sight are like yesterday
when it passes by, or as a watch in the night [three to four hours].” God’s
timing and man’s timing are not the same declares Moses, yet YEC’s equate
them.

2 Peter 3:3-8. The apostle warns of “scoffers,” and affirms the “heavens were
of old,” and “that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years.” Ignoring
the
words of the apostle, young-earth creationists scoff at the overwhelming
evidence of earth antiquity, insist the earth and heavens are young, and
assert
that one day is with the Lord as 24 hours!

In short, YEC's ignore the Bible, distort science, and are ignorant of the
historical underpinnings of Genesis. Let their ministers of misinformation
find their own publications. They have plenty. I don't believe the ASA is
under any obligation to provide them a cloak of decency.

Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orisol.com
"The answer we should have known about 150 years ago."