Re: Parker & Morris?

Allan Harvey (aharvey@boulder.nist.gov)
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 08:16:52 -0700

At 07:38 PM 11/23/99 +0000, Glenn wrote:
>At 03:57 PM 11/23/1999 CT, jeff witters wrote:
>>Hello.
>>
>>Does anyone know about a chart (p.288) of "What is Creation
>>Science" by Henry Morris and Gary Parker? I do not have the
>>book, but a chart showing wildly divergent dates for the age
>>of the earth is apparently used to show that various dating
>>methods do not produce consensus. I have some ideas, but
>>rather than speculating about why the chart is wrong I thought
>>it might be more helpful to hear from anyone who is familiar
>>with this (or similar material from Morris or Parker).
>
>Hi Jeff, The chart is a sham. Most of the dates which are 'influx of
>(element whatever) into the oceans' are resident times for the minerals,
>not ages of the ocean. What I mean by this is that this is the time it
>takes for the rivers to fill the oceans up with these elements. Such times
>can only be constraints on the age of the oceans IF and ONLY IF, none of
>the minerals leave the ocean through sedimentation/chemical reaction.

There's a nice explanation of this in a chapter of the book _Science Held
Hostage_ by H. van Till et al. (Intervarsity Press, 1988). [Sadly, I
think that book has been allowed to go out of print -- it is one of the
best choices for giving somebody at the college student level who is
wrestling with "creationism" issues.] It is equivalent to saying that if
I consume a gallon of water a day, and if the total water in my body is
15 gallons, therefore I am 15 days old.

The warping of "residence time" into "age" is an egregious example of
sleaziness and/or gross ignorance. Maybe its because I have a chemical
engineering background where residence time is a fundamental concept, but
this example was one of the drivers that pushed me from thinking the
young-Earth crowd was mistaken but well-intentioned to seriously doubting
the integrity of the leaders of the movement.

| Dr. Allan H. Harvey | aharvey@boulder.nist.gov |
| Physical and Chemical Properties Division | "Don't blame the |
| National Institute of Standards & Technology | government for what I |
| 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80303 | say, or vice versa." |