Re: statement on creationism?

George Murphy ("gmurphy@raex.com"@raex.com)
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 06:55:43 -0500

Dick Fischer wrote:

> Bob Newman wrote:
>
> >Yes, the CC of the ASA has certainly not tried to exclude YEC position, and
> >one of the guys on our Creation Statement subcomm is YEC (Paul Nelson), who
> >is also drafting that part of our statement. The theory of our statement is
> >a main section, that all on the comm agree on, and then separate sections
> >(YEC, OEC, TE, ID, maybe methodological naturalism) giving the view of that
> >particular segment put together by a proponent.
>
> Before issuing such a statement shouldn't we change the name of the
> organization to the American Scientific and Pseudo-scientific Affiliation?
> Otherwise the general public might get the mistaken idea that we actually
> had some integrity.

Dick -
Why not be consistent, bring matters to a head, & propose a revised Statement
of Faith for the ASA which will clearly rule out any YEC position? I suspect that such
a proposal would be overwhelmingly rejected by the membership, most of whom are not
YECs.
(I'm sure my "most" is correct, though I have no hard numbers. It might be
worth taking a survey to find just what fractions of members hold the different
positions for which statements are being developed by the Creation Commission. I think
it would be legitimate to ask if a statement of some position which is held by only a
few members should be presented as if it were representative of a significant number.)
Shalom,
George

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@raex.com