Re: P.Johnson on James Dobson

mortongr@flash.net
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 05:51:27 +0000

At 03:47 PM 11/22/1999 +1000, Richard Kouchoo wrote:

>As far as the evolution of the wing is concerned, how would scales evolve
>into feathers exactly? What is the actual mechanism? Is it simply natural
>selection acting on mutations?

Concerning the origin of the feather, I would point you to a possible
transitional feather at http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/longisq.htm

Longisquama was a small reptile that had very elongated scales that acted
as wings, glider wings. They were very featherlike in shape. The only
subsequent modification would have been the breaking up of the panes of the
scale into the barbules of the feather. Whether Longisquama was on the
direct line to flight/feathers is questionable but it does show a possible
path to featherhood.
glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood
Adam, Apes and Anthropology