Re: statement on creationism?

George Murphy ("gmurphy@raex.com"@raex.com)
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 19:50:43 -0500

Terry M. Gray wrote:

> Odd that no one from the Creation Commission of the ASA is speaking up
> here. There is a draft statement floating around. Perhaps Bob Newman or
> others involved would be willing to post it.
>
> While I'm no YEC sympathizer, I think that it's worth pointing out that the
> ASA has always had room for YEC's even if they haven't always been willing
> to tolerate the rest of us. I think that we must be careful when we speak
> FOR the ASA.

I've been on the commission but can't speak for others. The draft we
discussed at this past summer's meeting includes some general statements about creation
& then summaries of different views. Not all of the latter have been included yet.
I don't think it's yet ready for general circulation but Bob should speak to that.
IMO the problem is not so much the existence of YEC views as the idea of some
that those views are the only acceptable Christian ones.

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@raex.com
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/