Re: statement on creationism?

Dick Fischer (dfischer@mnsinc.com)
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 17:50:28 -0500

Paul Arveson wrote:

>I agree with Ted that I think we need only a brief statement to convey the
>main point: that many of the outspoken "creationists" don't speak for a lot
>of the
>evangelical scientists in this country on what we believe about creation
>or evolution. We could go further and offer some reasons why we think
>the teachings of these outspoken creationists is theologically and
>scientifically suspect, and why we think it is not necessarily biblical, and
>even goes against some of the Bible's teachings, including the ones Wendee
>mentioned.

We may not all agree on what is dead right, but certainly we can speak with
authority on what is dead wrong. I think it is long past time that the ASA
put out a press release and state our opposition to YEC. Then guys like
Dobson can come to us and ask us what we think. Of course, we all think
differently.

But opposition to YEC needs to come from the Christian camp. Coming from
Stephen Jay Gould, Richard Dawkins, Eugenie Scott, et. al., it carries no
weight among Christians. Let's go on record. If not us, then who? If not
now, then when?

Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orisol.com
"The answer we should have known about 150 years ago."