Re: Fw: draft of letter to James Dobson about evolution/creation debate

George Murphy ("gmurphy@raex.com"@raex.com)
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 21:57:06 -0500

Wendee Holtcamp wrote:

> George Murphy wrote:
> > I'm generally sympathetic to the concerns of the letter but the part I've
> >snipped above is a problem. It simply isn't true that only the first 2
> chapters
> >of the Bible (I assume that's the "two pages") focus on creation. It's an
> important
> >theme throughout Scripture - Ps.104 would be just one part to note.
> Moreover - & this
> >is something which needs to be emphasized in the creation-evolution
> discussion -
> >creation is NOT just about origins.
> > One thing that the anti-evolution camp has right is that creation is an
> >important part of a Christian worldview - in contrast to a lot of mainline
> theology
> >which treats it as just a prologue to the interesting sin-redemption stuff.
> The
> >anti-evolutionists generally have a very flawed view of what an adequate
> doctrine of
> >creation is, but at least they think it needs to be emphasized. Those who
> want to
> >resist the arguments of Johnson et al should not take a "Gee, why should we
> fight about
> >something so minor?" approach.
>
> Creation is a theme throughout the Bible certainly and I think it can well
> be said mainstream Christianity has failed at their job as earth stewards if
> you look at the state of our environment. That is very neglected and also a
> rich source of inspiration (nature - God's creation). I think that
> everything God created is good is important to our understanding and
> appreciation of animals and plants and organisms and all people. People use
> the Bible to justify all kinds of convoluted thinking, like hating certain
> groups of people - but that obviously is anti-biblical since everything God
> created is good.
>
> What do you personally find most important about creation, George, that I
> missed? I couldn't get that from your message.

First, just that creation is something which is found throughout Scripture
& not just on the first pages. This is true even if one is just looking at the
aspect of creation which usually comes first to mind, origination, & is all the more so
if we include God's ongoing work of providence. Furthermore, all of God's work -
salvation & sanctification as well - has the goal of bringing creation to its intended
goal.
The ongoing activity of creation is quite relevant to the creation-evolution
discussion. A great deal of confusion is caused by the idea that "creation" refers
only to some short period of time in the distant past.
The point that you mention, God's concern for the natural world & our calling to
care for creation, is another important aspect.
I don't think that in a letter of this sort a detailed presentation of the
doctrine of creation is necessary, but it shouldn't be suggested that creation is a
minor matter.
Shalom,
George

George L. Murphy