Re: Petition for James Dobson: comments

Allan Harvey (aharvey@boulder.nist.gov)
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 13:20:06 -0700

At 11:40 AM 11/16/99 -0500, Ted Davis wrote:

>Finally, I wonder how many ASAers want to see such a statement prepared,
>with an eye to signing it if they find themselves in agreement? What say
>ye?

Might a starting point for such a statement be Richard Bube's old "We
Believe in Creation" statement?
http://asa.calvin.edu/ASA/JASA12-71Bube.html
Certainly he gets to the key issue -- that one can affirm the Christian
doctrine of creation without being as restrictive as some are on the
means of creation God might have used (and that such restrictions are
philosophically more friendly to atheism than to Christianity).

| Dr. Allan H. Harvey | aharvey@boulder.nist.gov |
| Physical and Chemical Properties Division | "Don't blame the |
| National Institute of Standards & Technology | government for what I |
| 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80303 | say, or vice versa." |