Re: Fw: draft of letter to James Dobson about evolution/creation debate

George Murphy ("gmurphy@raex.com"@raex.com)
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 14:04:04 -0500

Don Munro wrote:

> Dear Listservers,
>
> This letter is self-explanatory. I think that Wendy would like you
> to inform her if you are a scientist and would be willing to attach
> your signature to the document. ...................................
> The critical part of the creation account is that God is behind the
> creation
> of the world and everything in it. Only two pages of the Bible focus
> on
> creation. That leaves some 1,945 pages (depending on your Bible
> version) on
> teachings about life, faith, love, people, sin, betrayal,
> deliverance,
> morality, justice, prayer, family, and other important matters. We
> must keep
> this in perspective. ..................................
I'm generally sympathetic to the concerns of the letter but the part I've
snipped above is a problem. It simply isn't true that only the first 2 chapters
of the Bible (I assume that's the "two pages") focus on creation. It's an important
theme throughout Scripture - Ps.104 would be just one part to note. Moreover - & this
is something which needs to be emphasized in the creation-evolution discussion -
creation is NOT just about origins.
One thing that the anti-evolution camp has right is that creation is an
important part of a Christian worldview - in contrast to a lot of mainline theology
which treats it as just a prologue to the interesting sin-redemption stuff. The
anti-evolutionists generally have a very flawed view of what an adequate doctrine of
creation is, but at least they think it needs to be emphasized. Those who want to
resist the arguments of Johnson et al should not take a "Gee, why should we fight about
something so minor?" approach.
Shalom,
George

George L. Murphy