Re: Noah's Ark... the Book

mortongr@flash.net
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 06:05:24 +0000

At 01:37 AM 11/15/1999 -0800, David Nunes wrote:
>>David Nunes wrote:
>>
>>>"In 1981 a possible explanation for the long lifetimes and the
>>>subsequent shortening of them (along a geometric curve) was
>>>unknowingly proposed. A paper entitled "Terrestrial
>>>Paleoenvironmental Effects of a Late Quaternary-Age Supernova" was
>>>published by geophysicist G. Robert Brakenridge in the journal Icarus
>>>(v. 46, pp. 81-93). Dr. Brakenridge describes measurements that date
>>>the Vela supernova as having occurred sometime between 9300 and 6400
>>>B. C.
>>
>>Dick Fischer wrote:
>>
>>I don't think those dates correlate well with 2900 BC.
>
>Hugh Ross is obviously an OEC, and his arguments for an older
>patriarch record would need to be believed for this time line of
>events to work.

Oh my we are all using empirical data to discuss this. ;-)

This is from my web page and shows what a hooey all this supernova stuff is.

http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/rossrev.htm

"As noted above, Ross believes that the lack of radioactivity is what
allowed early man to live 900 years. This should mean that the modern
Iraqis should have a significantly longer life span than other peoples not
so fortunate to live in Mesopotamia. Of course this isn't true. But Hugh
has an explanation.It seems that 18,000 years ago, the Vela supernova
exploded 1300 lyr
away from the earth and irradiated our ancestors causing their life spans
to decrease (p. 119-120). He claims that this is the nearest supernova that
has occurred in human history (unfortunately he is wrong). He suggests an
experiment to test this idea by raising a child in a totally radiation free
environment. But such a test is not really necessary to know that such a
view of human longevity is erroneous (although something similar has been
done-see below). If it were true, then those people who live in Denver,
with less of an atmospheric blanket protecting them from radiation should
have significantly shorter life spans than those living at sea level. They
don't. Secondly since his book went to press a new discovery has falsified
Ross' view that the Vela
pulsar is the nearest and most powerful human era supernova and it has
falsified the view that life span is related to supernovae. Why do we not
see a second reduction in life span with the supernova RXJ0852.0-4622 which
is 600 lyr away and whose light (and supposedly life span reducing cosmic
rays) struck the earth 700 years ago. Vela is 1630 lyr away and supposedly
caused great reduction in life span..(Aschenbach, 1998, p. 141; Iyudin,
1998, p. 142)"

Aschenbach B. 1998. "Discovery of a young nearby supernova remnant". Nature
396(Nov. 12):141

Iyudin, A.F., et al. 1998. Emission from 44Ti associated with a previously
unknown Galactic supernova. Nature 396(Nov.
12):142.

Obviously a closer supernova only 700 years ago did no damage to modern
human lifespans and the further Vela supernova wouldn't have done anything
either!
glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood
Adam, Apes and Anthropology