Re: Noah's Ark... the Book

David Nunes (danunes@ucdavis.edu)
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 01:37:54 -0800

>David Nunes wrote:
>
>>"In 1981 a possible explanation for the long lifetimes and the
>>subsequent shortening of them (along a geometric curve) was
>>unknowingly proposed. A paper entitled "Terrestrial
>>Paleoenvironmental Effects of a Late Quaternary-Age Supernova" was
>>published by geophysicist G. Robert Brakenridge in the journal Icarus
>>(v. 46, pp. 81-93). Dr. Brakenridge describes measurements that date
>>the Vela supernova as having occurred sometime between 9300 and 6400
>>B. C.
>
>Dick Fischer wrote:
>
>I don't think those dates correlate well with 2900 BC.

Hugh Ross is obviously an OEC, and his arguments for an older
patriarch record would need to be believed for this time line of
events to work.

>I take my cues from
>Scripture which states: "And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on
>the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, that the sons of
>God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives
>of all which they chose. And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always
>strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an
>hundred and twenty years" (Gen. 6:1-3).
>
>The shortening of lif spans is attributed to the intermarrying of Adamites
>with non-Adamites. I have no clue what was going on in outer space at that
>time.

Are you quoting Genesis as stating that life spans were shortened by
God acting punitively or simply through biological processes? If you
believe the act to be punitive, then what makes you believe that God
did not utilize a physical process (natural disaster) in shortening
life? After all, the Bible is full of examples of God acting though
natural processes, including the Great Flood.

I have also read explanations that the Flood was part of the punitive
action. However, as pointed out, the Flood itself doesn't appear to
explain shortening of life very well. Any thoughts?

David Nunes