Re: Kelvin and Darwin

Adam Crowl (qraal@hotmail.com)
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 19:38:55 PST

Hi Moorad and ASA,

I don't think there is any minimum that can be calculated very easily since
it involves making assumptions about genetic change and the rate of gene
fixation over time. But molecular biologists do make estimates all the time
for minor evolutionary events like species radiation within a genus - but
those are often calibrated by fossils anyway. If we found the same fossil
sequence on a younger Earth then molecular evolution would be calibrated to
be that much quicker.

Human mitochondrial DNA has been estimated to have diverged from a common
source about 200,000 years ago, but that estimate can be tweaked to give a
timescale of 1,000,000 - [just] 6,000 years...

Adam