Re: Christian evolutionists condemned

George Murphy ("gmurphy@raex.com"@raex.com)
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 07:14:43 -0500

Keith B Miller wrote:

> Below is a copy of an essay published in the newsletter of the Creation
> Science Association of Mid-America, and posted on their website. ..........................
>> The few pro-evolution, self-identified "mainstream"
> >Protestants at the hearing argued that Darwin and God were easily
> >reconciled.
> >In fact, they are really not reconcilable at all.

Of course it's a mistake to say that they're "easily" reconciled: There
are significant theological issues which have to be worked through. But such critics
of evolution usually aren't good at nuances.

> >When famed evolutionist George Gaylord Simpson noted that "Man is the result
> >of a purposeless and natural process that did not have him in mind," he was
> >quite clearly denying the existence of a creator.
> >
> >So was reigning Darwinian Julian Huxley on the occasion of the Darwin
> >Centennial in 1959 when he boldly claimed that "in the evolutionary pattern
> >of thought there is no longer either need or room for the supernatural. The
> >earth was not created. It evolved."
> >
> >As the anti-evolutionists understand, the Darwinian position has grown even
> >more materialistic since the centennial. Says Richard Dawkins, the most
> >influential, if the least romantic, of contemporary evolutionary biologists,
> >"We are survival machines, robot vehicles blindly programmed to preserve the
> >selfish molecules known as genes."

Again we have the interesting phenomenon of non-Christian evolutionary
scientists suddenly being treated as theological experts when they claim that evolution
and creation are antithetical.
Shalom,
George

George L. Murphy