Re: 2001's gospel message

George Murphy ("gmurphy@raex.com"@raex.com)
Sun, 07 Nov 1999 15:27:31 -0500

mortongr@flash.net wrote:

> At 09:07 AM 11/05/1999 -0700, Allan Harvey wrote:
> >As an aside, I'd recommend Joel Cannon's review of Contact:
> >http://alpha.centenary.edu/joel/contact.html
> >
> >He points out what also struck me, which is that for Jodie Foster's
> >character (and presumably also Sagan) the only way for God to be
> >meaningful is if he "leaves his fingerprints all over the evidence."
> >

> In some fashion I agree with Sagan. A God who leaves NO fingerprints just
> might be an imaginary figure like a leprechaun. Belief in a God with no
> fingerprints becomes unsubstantiated belief. And maybe that was the appeal
> of Contact (the book) to me. We Christians need to remember that the
> resurrection IS a BIG fingerprint.

The demand for God's "fingerprints" usually refers to evidence which is
accessible in principle to all observers, in the same way that evidence for
scientific theories is. The cross-resurrection event is indeed evidence for who God is
& the plausibility of the New Testament claims for it can be supported by historical &
literary analysis. But it happened only once ~1970 years ago & we have access to them
only through the apostolic witness to them. Thus it is something quite different from
the sort of "fingerprint" usually demanded or offered.
Shalom,
George
George L. Murphy
gmurphy@raex.com