Re: 2001's gospel message

mortongr@flash.net
Fri, 05 Nov 1999 19:59:14 +0000

At 09:07 AM 11/05/1999 -0700, Allan Harvey wrote:
>As an aside, I'd recommend Joel Cannon's review of Contact:
>http://alpha.centenary.edu/joel/contact.html
>
>He points out what also struck me, which is that for Jodie Foster's
>character (and presumably also Sagan) the only way for God to be
>meaningful is if he "leaves his fingerprints all over the evidence."

In some fashion I agree with Sagan. A God who leaves NO fingerprints just
might be an imaginary figure like a leprechaun. Belief in a God with no
fingerprints becomes unsubstantiated belief. And maybe that was the appeal
of Contact (the book) to me. We Christians need to remember that the
resurrection IS a BIG fingerprint.

As an aside, I liked the ending of the book better than the ending in the
movie--it was more aesthetically pleasing to me.
glenn

Foundation, Fall and Flood
Adam, Apes and Anthropology
http://www.flash.net/~mortongr/dmd.htm