Re: 2001's gospel message

Allan Harvey (aharvey@boulder.nist.gov)
Fri, 05 Nov 1999 09:07:25 -0700

At 10:14 AM 11/5/99 -0500, George Murphy wrote:

> In my adult class on 14 and 21 November we're going to be talking about
>religious themes in two SF films, Contact & Forbidden Planet. The first
>does pose
>religious questions (about relationships of faith & knowledge for
>scientists & the
>implications of extraterrestrial life) quite explicitly. (I think, in
>fact, that
>Sagan's book in some ways does that better than the film.)

As an aside, I'd recommend Joel Cannon's review of Contact:
http://alpha.centenary.edu/joel/contact.html

He points out what also struck me, which is that for Jodie Foster's
character (and presumably also Sagan) the only way for God to be
meaningful is if he "leaves his fingerprints all over the evidence."

| Dr. Allan H. Harvey | aharvey@boulder.nist.gov |
| Physical and Chemical Properties Division | "Don't blame the |
| National Institute of Standards & Technology | government for what I |
| 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80303 | say, or vice versa." |