Re: 2001's gospel message

David B. Fenske (dbfenske@axion.net)
Fri, 05 Nov 1999 00:28:41 -0800

Jumping out of lurker mode...

I read 2001 back in grade 7. I saw the movie many years later. I must
confess I
found the film to be rather dull and slow in many spots, particularly the
beginning
and end. What struck me about the end in particular is that nobody would
be able
to make much sense of had they not read the book.

In the book, Dave is taken to the room, and eventually is transformed into
the star
child, a being with great powers, who senses the nuclear missiles
surrounding earth
and simply gets rid of them. The book ends with the star child pondering
what to do
next. At least, thats how I remember it. What I don't recall is what
happens during
all that time in the room, and whether there is any sense of Dave yielding
to the alien
power.

I always took it as a statement on man's possible future development,
evolutionary if you will,
guided by an alien intelligence, who have decided we are ready to move
forward. But if there
was a sense of Dave having to yield to the monolith before being
transformed, then your
interpretation would at least parallel that of the book, with the
difference being in whom one
yields to. But I doubt that Clarke or Kubrick saw the ending as any kind
of religious metaphor.

Still, I like your reading of it. It fits.

Dave