Re: 2001's gospel message
Thu, 04 Nov 1999 20:59:34 +0000

At 04:46 PM 11/04/1999 -0500, wrote:

>My interpretation: Dave took a long time, trying to save himself,
>trying to escape death by means of technology, proud of his
>victory in even overcoming the murderous HAL. But when he is
>imprisoned alone within himself, after an extended period of time,
>he comes to the end of himself. On his deathbed, he finally
>gives in and submits to the will of the Power that is greater than
>him. Immediately the heavenly gate is opened, the key having
>been found. Dave is reborn in a new creation.
>Now, do you think Kubrick would have interpreted it that way?
>Who is right?

I think that the only one who is right is Arthur C. Clark. He was the
writer. All others who interpret it differently than him have misunderstood
or changed his intent. I don't know how Clark interprets the story. This
is no different than when I tell one of the people in my group to do such
and such, and they intepret it differently than what I meant, there has
been a miscommunication. I may have spoken wrongly, but they may have
decided to do something differently.

Foundation, Fall and Flood
Adam, Apes and Anthropology