Re: Depth of Mediterranean basin and flood dynamics

R. Joel Duff (joelduff@nls.net)
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 09:59:09 -0400

David C wrote:
>A slow start to flooding is not necessarily a problem. If the handiest
>high ground was below the final water level, people may have headed in the
>wrong direction to escape.

Wow, this just blew my mind. I never thought about this. Taking this and
applying it to the sometimes used YEC argument that human fossils and
fossils of large organisms were the result of them climbing to escape from
the flood this presents a challenge that I never thought of but is so
obvious. What about all the small hills that these animals ran up but
couldn't go down when they realized they weren't on the tallest mountain.
(have you ever climed a mountain in CO, you think you are climbing the
tallest peak in the area but when you get to the top you see another one
much taller but you have to go way down into a 'saddle" to get over to it).
Shouldn't there be fossils of man and other animals in all parts of the
geological column because they all couldn't have simply climed to the
highest point everwhere surely some of them got caught on islands. I guess
this is why we hear more about "sorting' of fossils now.

Joel Duff

R. Joel Duff, Assistant Professor
Dept. of Biology, ASEC 185
Campus Mail 3908