Re: asa-digest V1 #1308

George Murphy (
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 19:01:39 -0400

John W. Burgeson wrote:

> The wine at Cana is certainly a PC intervention. I need cite only one to
> make the case that all is not TE.

I don't think this is the most helpful terminology since we are not concerned
there with creation & evolution in the usual sense, but if you refer to the types of
divine action contemplated in those 2 modes of development, OK.
More substantively, it is not certain that a sign like that at Cana must be
regarded as something which natural processes are incapable of, & thus outside the
bounds of the type of divine action I suggest. Such signs might be due to seldom
realized potentialities but "natual" which God has allowed for in creation. Augustine,
e.g., was willing to consider this view.

George L. Murphy