Re: Weinberg-Polkinghorne Debate, and Memes

Jonathan Clarke (
Sun, 25 Apr 1999 14:23:39 +1000

Keith B Miller wrote:

> Another interesting set of posts from the Templeton Meta listserve.
> Keith

which then went on to give a give and interesting discussion of memes. I know
little about memes, so for those who are interested in them:

1) What evidence is there for memes (other than being a cute sociobiological

2) How do we test memetic explanations vs other explanations in behaviour?

3) What are the limits of the explanatory power of memes? In other words: if memes
are used to explain everything (as Blackmore seems to), they appear to explain

God bless