Re: Precambrian geology (1)

Steven Schimmrich (
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 10:21:11 -0400

At 07:39 PM 4/12/99 -0700, Allen Roy wrote:
>> From: David Campbell <>
>> Last I saw, many flood geology advocates were claiming that there are no
>> Precambrian fossils. Ediacaran fossils were recognized as such in the
>>late 1940's, and microfossils, stromatolites, and macroalgae go back through
>> much of the Precambrian. There are hardly any rocks older than fossils.
>> Lack of fossils below but present above, if attempted to apply on a very
>> local scale, will give all sorts of balmy results. Pliocene sediments
>> onlap onto granite here in the North Carolina coastal plain. Surely that
>> was not the last region to be flooded!
>That is why I said "in general." And that is why I said the line demarking
>the beginning of the Flood Catastrophe from site to site is still in

It's in discussion because the entire concept (that there is an upper or lower
flood boundary that one can correlate worldwide) is totally untenable.

- Steve.

   Steven H. Schimmrich                         Assistant professor of geology
   Department of Geology and Geography (office)
   Calvin College                      (home)
   3201 Burton Street SE                        616-957-7053, 616-957-6501 (fax)
   Grand Rapids, Michigan 49546