Re: EPH - Tom Van Flandern

Bill Payne (
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 21:31:30 -0600

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999 15:24:55 -0400 (David
Campbell) writes:

>I'm still not clear as to why the mid-Pliocene crater needs an exploding
>planet when there are plenty of ordinary asteroids or comets that could
>the job. Also, there are other, bigger impacts on Earth besides the
>Whether there is any evidence for a Permo-Triassic impact is still

I think Tom's primary concern is how to explain the features throughout
the solar system suggesting an exploded planet(s). I don't think anyone
has responded to his original question to Adam:

"Now the question I pose back to you is this: Will you seriously maintain
that the distribution of dark and bright surfaces all over the solar
is a coindicence, or concede that this distribution is a good indicator
a proof) of a relatively recent massive explosion in the solar system?

A second question I have is about the origin of the lunar mares, which I
understand are underlain by mascons (mass concentrations). What is the
prevailing explanation for the origin of the mares, which are only on the
near side of our moon?

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at
or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]