Re: Luther and the such

Robin Mandell (rmandell@jpusa.chi.il.us)
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 16:37:05 -0600

At , you wrote:
>At 04:21 PM 2/28/99 -0500, you wrote:
>>What are we to make of Christ's words in John 8:37-59? A Jewish colleague on
>>mine on campus finds these words very offensive. Is the offensiveness of
>>words that matters? Must we also consider the truthfulness or falsehood of
>>the words as well? Is the Lord lying? Is He being misquoted? Perhaps
>>someone can clarify these points for me.
>>
>>Moorad
Hope that bit about the truth of the words is not being applied in regards
to Luther. That would be nonsense. I don't find the passage in John to be a
statement about Jews at all. Most of the "heroes" and "villains" in the
story are Jewish so it hardly seems to be about people groups as much as
heart types. Easily miss used when taken out of context but seems the group
in question had murder on their hearts. What seems the main problem for
your colleague.