Re: Where to start...

Jonathan Clarke (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 10:36:11 +1100

Dear All

Not all is doom and gloom in the antipodean realm. Yesterday I attended a
meeting of the University science - religion network at St Marks college
(Anglican) here in Canberra. This is a new organisation designed to link
people interested in science and religion at university (scientists,
philosophers, historians, etc.) with theologians at seminaries and
theological colleges. We plan to have a general conference at Easter 2000.
The Australian Theological Forum will have a science and religion conference

in Adelaide during January 2000, the theme will be "intelligence". The
conference will probably be at Luther seminary.

I am involved with a group called ISCAST (Institute for the Study of
Christianity in an Age of Science and Technology). Answers in Genesis gave
us a lot of free publicity recently in their prayer news by attacking us as
"churchian allies" of sceptics! We ran a conference at Moore College in
Sydney in 1997 with Robert Russell and will have one at the Bible College of

Victoria in July of this year on reconciling biology and Theology. The
keynote speakers will be R.J. Berry and Caroline Berry. ISCAST also offers
a science and faith course through Ridley College in Melbourne (Anglican)
and has run workshops for teachers and school chaplains. We also had
distinguished speakers, including John Bryant, John Houghton, Gareth Jones,
John Polkinghorne, and Colin Russell. John Polkinghorne in particular has
proved very popular and commands a wide audience at university faculties.
We have had some success it getting these speakers on radio and TV. ISCAST
also has good relationships with parachurch organisations such as Christian

Medical and Dental Fellowship, the Fellowship of Evangelical Students,
Scripture Union, and the Counsel for Christian Education in Schools.

To cut a long story short, main stream colleges in Australia are generally
very open to informed discussion on science-faith issues, including
theological, exegetical and ethical questions. This interest is growing
fast. The more hard-line fundamentalist colleges are a different story, but

we are working on them.

It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness

God Bless

Jonathan