RE: Is this true about luther?

Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@aecl.ca)
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 10:31:05 -0500

Although I have not read any of the books that Martin Luther wrote, it is my
understanding that the cited reference is correct and that Luther did write
some very uncomplimentary things about the Jews.

Since we joined the local Lutheran church (ELCiC) here about 15 years ago,
we've heard the odd reference to Luther's derogatory comments about the
Jews. Obviously, no Lutheran in his/her right mind would want to defend
Luther's pronouncements. On the contrary, Luther's comments are a
considerable embarrassment and Lutheran groups may well have issued formal
apologies to Jewish groups in the past.

I should make the following comments about Luther's statement concerning the
Jews:

Luther's writings may well have reflected his frustration in his inability
to convert the Jews of his day. It may well have been a case where he felt
that the corrupted message and the excesses of the Roman Catholic church at
that time prevented the Good News to be heard by Jews and that, once these
errors had been corrected, Jews would accept Christ as their Messiah.

His writings should be seen as representing the views of his time
(Zeitgeist) and the prevailing high degree of intolerance at that time.
This intolerance (albeit to a much lesser degree) is also evident in other
writings of that time, for example, the Heidelberg catechism where
Anabaptists and Roman Catholics are held up as bad examples (I don't have a
copy of the catechism at hand, so I'm going from memory).

I don't know offhand what Luther died of but, four years before his death he
may have been suffering from an illness that affected his judgment.

This is not to excuse what Luther wrote. There is a lesson in it for all of
us that, no matter how hard one beavers away in God's garden, the devil
finds a way to "put a spanner in the works" (to mix metaphors).

I had a quick look at the South Carolina Web page that contains Luther's
quotation. It is apparently designed as a teaching aid and chronicles
anti-semitism over the years. From what I know about anti-semitism, it
appears to be factual.

Hope this helps.

Chuck Vandergraaf
Pinawa, MB