Re: Poor Darwin's syndrome is contagious

Keith B Miller (kbmill@ksu.edu)
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 21:57:28 -0600

David wrote:

>There can be a danger in science of losing your appreciation of creation.
>Ironically, Dawkins has apparently recognized this as a problem in his
>latest book (I have only seen reviews, not the original), even though he
>does not acknowledge that it is created. "Familiarity breeds contempt" is
>the basic problem-having seen something so often makes it easy to ignore,
>just as we are often not thankful for God's everyday provisions. Finding
>out more about how God runs the universe should give a new aspect to our
>praise rather than dampen it.

I agree. Scientific discovery is a very worshipful thing to me.
Uncovering the workings of God in creation has been a source of inspiration
for many theistic scientists. Interestingly, many atheists also experience
a sense of wonder and worship in discovery.

Keith

Keith B. Miller
Department of Geology
Kansas State University