Re: Poor Darwin's syndrome is contagious

Jonathan Clarke (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 18:01:00 +1100

Bill

I agree very much with you. God is the origin of all good things, which he
showers on the just and unjust. Rejection of the source may well lead to
diminished appreciation of those gifts. I remember an ex-Buddhist telling me
he never enjoyed the world about him until he became a Christian and could
appreciate both the existence of beauty, awe and worship, and its source.

With respect to Darwin, it appears that his appreciation of prose was
undiminished, I wonder why? James Moore has written a very moving paper in
"God and nature" on Darwin's loss of belief, if I recall correctly. Although
at university he professed Christianity, it appears to have been
prepositional rather than living. Several factors lead to his rejection of
Christianity. First the death of his father, a good man but an unbeliever
caused him to reject divine judgement, and then the tragic death of his
daughter at a young age caused him to abandon belief in a good and personal
God. Darwin never completely abandoned belief in God, and remained at least
an occasional deist.

God Bless

Jonathan