Re: The Deep Hot Biosphere

Bill Payne (bpayne15@juno.com)
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 19:58:00 -0600

I'm pretty sure that "black coal" is a fossil fuel since it contains
fossils of trees which did not likely grow 100 km below ground surface.
I've seen tree stumps which are over two feet in diameter. This week I
saw a tree trunk or limb about four inches in daimeter and about two feet
long laying horizontally on top of a bed of coal.

Bill Payne, Professional Geologist
Law Engineering and Environmental Services, Inc.
2100 RiverChase Center, Suite 450
Birmingham, AL 35244
Tel: 205-733-7624 Fax: 205-985-2951

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999 17:56:23 -0700 "Terry M. Gray"
<grayt@lamar.colostate.edu> writes:
>Hi everyone,
>
>I'm just finishing up Thomas Gold's book *The Deep Hot Biosphere*.
>Gold is
>an astronomer/cosmologist (I think) who has maintained for a number
>of
>years that natural gas, oil, and black coal are not "fossil fuels"
>but
>rather have an abiogenic origin with hydrocarbons being a primordial
>component of the deep earth (deep being >=100 km).
>
>Apparently, his hypothesis has been around for some time and this book
>is
>his latest effort to promote it. Included in this book is an argument
>for
>life deep in the rocks and he speculates on an origin of life in the
>rocks
>rather than on the surface.
>
>I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this book or knows something of
>Gold's views, especially anyone with a geology background. Of
>course,
>since Gold's views are counter-establishment, folks with a geology
>background may be biased against them. But, that's okay. I'm
>interested
>in hearing opinions of folks with a bit more expertise in this area
>than
>what I have.
>
>Thanks.
>
>TG

>Terry M. Gray, Ph.D., Computer Support Scientist
>Chemistry Department, Colorado State University
>Fort Collins, Colorado 80523
>grayt@lamar.colostate.edu http://www.chm.colostate.edu/~grayt/
>phone: 970-491-7003 fax: 970-491-1801

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]