Re: The Deep Hot Biosphere

Jonathan Clarke (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 18:04:19 +1100

Terry

Thomas Gold is a well known original thinker, remember the deep lunar dust
theory? Steady State Cosmology? Gold has been associated with all those
unpopular ideas.

With respect to oil and gas, pity that Glenn is still in communicado. While
there is evidence for abiological methane in volcanic gases, the link between
oil and buried biological matter is too strong for Gold's theory to have any
validity. Try any introductory book on petroleum geology. There will be
discussion of things like biomarkers, and how different oils can be linked to
particular source rocks by biochemical traces. Further more, different oils
have different organic sources, source rocks derived from terrestrial plants
have a different composition to those from marine plankton, and they differ
from those derived from lake algae.

God Bless

Jonathan