RE: Grapenuts, anyone?

Vandergraaf, Chuck (vandergraaft@aecl.ca)
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 16:58:44 -0500

Moorad,

Your approach in getting difficult and complex concepts is exactly what is
needed. I try to do the same, not so much in writing but in giving
presentations.

I also agree with you that the OT and NT writers were faced with the same
difficulty in getting complex concepts across. However, where I run into
difficulties is where the authors apparently conveyed truths in terms that
don't make a lot of sense to us now (but that, apparently, made sufficient
sense to the church fathers who set the Canon). My earlier example of
Adam's rib is just one of many I could cite. To me, this is such a detailed
description (in comparison with the creation of Adam) that it seems to me
that there is something more to it that appears at first glance. I don't
recall it being covered in any of the courses I took at Calvin College.

I must admit that I don't have a lot of time to take the intellectual
journey that Howard van Till recommended in his e-mail to me. If we have
problems with this Bible passage, how do we deal with it in discussions with
non-Christians?

Chuck Vandergraaf
Pinawa, MB