Falwell (was: )

James K. Gruetzner (jkgruet@unm.edu)
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 21:13:40 -0700 (MST)

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Blaine D. McArthur wrote:

> You beat me on this one Chuck, I was about to post an identical message.
>
> Question though........
>
> What has he done now?

While I tend to dislike much of what Falwell does, I was a bit
intrigued about our local media report (concerninf Falwell) which ended
with a note that Falwell denied the accusation.

So, I found the article in question online, at
(http://www.liberty.edu/chancellor/nlj/feb99/politics2.htm)

It was *much* less accusatory than was reported on TV: much was a
take-off on a WASHINGTON POST editorial on Tinky Winky being a homosexual
symbol.

Elsewhere I noted a press release by the guy, at
http://www.falwell.com/jf2/state2.html

The press release noted other comments on Tinky Winky:

- The Washington Post published an editorial last month categorizing
gay actress Ellen DeGeneres as "out" and "Tinky Winky, the gay teletubby"
as "in" (Jan. 1, 1999).

- Time magazine, in an article on transsexuals, states that "in the
past five years, several movies, plays, tabloid shows and famous
cross-dressers like RuPaul have moved drag from the fringes of gay culture
to prime time. Even Teletubbies, a show for toddlers, features Tinky
Winky, a boy who carries a red patent-leather purse" (July 20, 1998).

- A Dec. 28, 1998 People magazine article states that "gay men have
made the purse-toting Tinky Winky a camp icon."

So, while I've little respect for the WP, TIME mag, and PEOPLE as
sources of accurate news, and I don't find Falwell's article to be very
good, I did find that the mainline media "doth protest too much."

The complete section of Falwell's Mational Liberty Journal is
cited below.

Yours in Christ, | ----Solo Christus----
James | In faith and in science,
James K. Gruetzner <jkgruet@unm.edu> | All truth is God's truth.
"A bruised reed he will not break; a smoldering wick he will not snuff out."

Tinky Winky Comes Out of the Closet

The sexual preference of Tinky Winky, the largest of the four
Teletubbies stations, has been the subject of debate since the series
premiered in England in 1997.

The character, whose voice is obviously that of a boy, has been found
carrying a red purse in many episodes and has become a favorite character
among gay groups worldwide.

Now, further evidence that the creators of the series intend for Tinky
Winky to be a gay role model have surfaced. He is purple -- the gay-pride
color; and his antenna is shaped like a triangle -- the gay-pride symbol.

Furthering Tinkys outing was a recent Washington Post editorial that
cast the characters photo opposite that of Ellen DeGeneres in an In/Out
column. This implies that Ellen is out as the chief national gay
representative, while Tinky Winky is the trendy in celebrity.

These subtle depictions are no doubt intentional and parents are
warned to be alert to these elements of the series. However, many families
are allowing the series to entertain their children. In the January 10
Blockbuster Hit List of the top-ten selling videos, two Teletubbies titles
appeared on the list. The itsy bitsy Entertainment Company will release
interactive Teletubbies dolls in March.