Re; Grapenuts, anyone?

Howard J. Van Till (110661.1365@compuserve.com)
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 16:33:12 -0500

>(5).... I believe that God has so generously
>gifted the creation with the capabilities for self-organization and
>transformation that an unbroken line of evolutionary development from
>non-living matter to the full array of existing life forms is not only
>possible but has in fact taken place."

Art Chadwick wrote:

"This certainly seems to be contrary to the order of things I get in
reading
Romans 1:20-25. Here the author certainly seems to me to be putting your
suggestion of origins in strong opposition to Creation by God. I would be
interested in your read on these texts."

Thanks for your interest. Two brief comments in reply:

1. Art, I assume that by "the order of things" you are referring to
something like the chronological ordering of events and processes in the
Creation's formational history. If that is correct, then I would say:

2) The textual excerpt to which you refer says a number of things that
continue to be relevant to human behavior today (about our responsibility
for perceiving the attributes of our Creator, about the consequences of
idolatry, etc.). At the same time, I firmly believe that this text says
absolutely nothing about "the order of things" that would be relevant in
any way whatsoever to modern scientific theorizing about the chronology or
chronological ordering of events and processes in the Creation's
formational history.

Howard Van Till